Mountain caribou: Still more to be done
Though mountain caribou have gained much needed habitat in the past few years they still face threats such as mining, heli-skiing, and snowmobiling. With these threats, the story of their recovery remains unfinished.
March 2013-USFWS closes 90 day comment period on Selkirk caribou population with a decision not expected for several months.
- January 2013-Environmental groups announce plans to sue USFWS over 2012 decision to cut 90% of protected caribou habitat.
- December 2012-US Fish & Wildlife agrees to review Southern Selkirk Mountains population of caribou to see if it deserves protection.
- November 2012-In response to May’s petition USFWS cuts protected caribou habitat by more than ten times its original area.
- May 2012-Petition is filed by Pacific Legal Foundation (representing Bonner County, Idaho), and the Idaho State Snowmobile Association to delist Caribou.
- November 2011-USFWS announces its plan to designate 375,000 acres of critical habitat for the endangered South Selkirk caribou.
- May 2011-Conservation Northwest played a role in several snowmobile recreation closures in caribou habitat near Revelstoke.
- 2009-British Columbia government institutes a mountain caribou recovery plan, which protects over 2.2 million hectares of habitat from logging and new roads.
- 2009-US Fish and Wildlife Services agrees to study caribou’s alpine habitat to see whether it needs further protection.
- 2007-Eastern district court in Washington adds protection for caribou, allowing them to migrate from their northern to southern habitat.
- 2006-Conservation groups and snowmobilers reach agreement on which trails to close in order to protect caribou habitat.
- 2005-Conservation groups sue Forest Service for winter recreation policies which threaten mountain caribou.
- 2002-Conservation groups call on USFWS to designate critical caribou habitat.
- 1994-Last time caribou recovery plan was updated by USFWS.
- 1983- Mountain Caribou listed under the Endangered Species Act.
- Early 1900’s-Caribou populations were decimated due to unrestricted hunting.